Monday, March 16, 2015

County Limerick Scones for St. Patrick's Day

 

 

 

I don't consider myself a baker, but I do love baked goods for breakfast. And I especially love scones. When I saw this recipe for traditional Irish scones, served with clotted cream and jam, it looked so simple to put together, I thought even I, non baker that I am, could give it a try.

While I have not yet been to Ireland, St. Patrick's Day is a chance to dream of sitting in a cozy tea shop, sipping on hot tea and enjoying freshly baked scones, while a soft Irish rain falls outside. Someday, I will get there, but for now, I can bring the tea and scones, right to my kitchen.

When making a dough, there is a point where you know immediately if it will come together, as it is supposed to. This recipe is very clear on how the dough should look at each stage and it seemed to be coming together just as described. In no time, I had a lovely dough that was easy to work with and cut into rounds. After baking, the scones were light, flaky and delicious with my home made Two Berry Freezer Jam. A little bit of Ireland, for any kitchen, just in time for St. Patrick's Day.

 

County Limerick Scones


1 1/4 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups flour

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick) chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1/2 cup whole milk

2 T sugar

1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk baking powder, salt and flour together in a large bowl. Add butter and blend with fingers, until pea size pieces form. Add milk and sugar and mix with fork until a rough dough forms. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and gently knead, 3 to 4 times, until dough just comes together.

Gently roll or pat dough into 1 inch thick round. Using a biscuit cutter or a small glass, cut out scones. Gather scraps and repeat, making 8-10 scones. Transfer to a baking sheet, sprayed with cooking spray. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake until golden, 12 minutes. Transfer to wire rack. Serve with clotted cream and/or jam.

 

Linking with Between Naps on the Porch and Stonegable

 

8 comments:

  1. Yum I love scones too! I just recently saw clotted cream at Trader Joes. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St. Patrick's Day and enjoy your yummy scones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very good..and I like the smaller quantity..

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason, although I love to bake, I've never tried scones before. You are right that this recipe does look good, and your photo looks even better. Perhaps I'll be brave and give it a try! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to make scones, so simple and so delicious when still warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds perfect . . . yummy too! I can guarantee you would love a trip to Ireland . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (160) florida (124) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (194) nana time (5) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved